Image Map

Tuesday, 10 September 2013

A Turning Point

Dear friends,

Today I will tell you about one of the most important turning points in my life: becoming an expat and coming to live in Poland - in the magical (yet very polluted!) Krakow ;)

It was a step that I made truly "out of the blue" and it is true that my family was totally not expecting this... I went out for a very long and comfortable and awesome/truly sensational holiday in Krakow - Poland - to meet the colleagues from work outside the border :) and I came back telling my mum that in 1 month I will go back as I have a transfer ready and I will move to Krakow.

Trying to learn a bit of Polish language in Park Jordana :)

It was insane and fast and furious :))) On the 25th of June 2011 I landed officially on the Polish border determined to make the best of the chance given... It was a turning point at my life as it changed 180 degrees. When I came for my holidays here I came with the idea and the thought that I will visit as much as I can in Krakow and near Krakow, that I will get to meet my friends here and that I will add one more country to my list of visited cities. The people here were so awesome and friendly and I felt so much like home that I felt that I somehow belonged to this place. Even if people here speak English only if forced/pushed or if they are young (and sure they know what they speak of) they are also very warm and friendly and you immeadiately feel like home :) I had one more place I felt like that: in Greece :)

One of the team leaders back then on the Polish side asked me if I would like to work from here, from Krakow, rather than in Romania. I laughed and said it is not possible and no transfers were ever made between the Romanian and the Polish team... My friend laughed and she said "we will see about that"... well... after coming home after the vacation I did not even get the chance to tell my TL from Romanian side about the question I was raised. She came to me and told me that the Polish Team asked my transfer and that if I accepted in less than a month I would have to be back in Krakow... I was shocked and I did not even though it through thoroughly... I was afraid and exhilarated at the same time! It was such a opportunity! So, obviosuly, I said YES!

My mum saw it coming the moment I came from Krakow that I loved it there and when she heard the transfer would be completed I knew she was sad that I would go but she also knew that would be inevitable at a certain point for me... I love traveling and I cannot stay long in the same place... it is like the ground is burning :)

But this was indeed a turning point. For 6 months I lived 100% on my own in a country where I did not speak the language and I was perfect :) After 6 months another friend of mine got transfered here and I moved out and we both started living together in a new apartment - it felt cozy to be able to talk my own language again anytime Oana was around :) But this movement to Krakow changed not also my professional life but also my personal life :) I got to meet my fiancee and now - in less than a year - I will be married :) Funny how a small vacation can change your life, is it not?!

Yours truly,
The LadyBug