Image Map

Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Where To Have A Lunch Break When You Have Just One Hour

Dear friends,

Sometimes we have to be prepared for unexpected things happening. Two days ago I was telling you about my (and my fiance's - of course!) second attempt to see The Lady With The Ermine @ Wawel Castle. It was not meant to be but we managed to get tickets for the State Rooms & The Lost Wawel. But as you may remember from my previous post, a certain number of people may enter at a time and the tickets are given with a specific date and hour.
Now we were lucky and our tickets were due in an hour, but we were hungry and thirsty and we wanted to sit somewhere warm and cozy for the hour left - as it was starting to rain again... of course! It is wintertime and we are in Poland so the weather will change rapidly! Now there are 2 main choices if you have a hour to spare and you are near Wawel Castle: Pod Wawelem and Bona - Ksiazka i kawa. Now you know our preference for Bona ;) but that combined with the fact that at that hour (around 11 am) Pod Wawelem finished serving breakfast and they were on "break mode" made us hurry to our place :)
I changed the tradition a bit as I was in the mood for something new, so I had cappuccino. Which was awesome and foamy but if you like it sweet you need to add as much sugar you need. I needed 2 spoons ;)) Plus you get a cookie, like you get with coffee ;) My fiance of course stayed with the American Coffee ;) My awesome colleague - friend - big daughter (adopted with loads of love :*) had some coffee as well and some amazing pierogi :) Now Bona does not make pierogi as Babcia Malina but they do come close ;)
Pierogi (Polish pronunciation: [pjɛˈrɔɡʲi]; also spelled perogi, pierogy, perogy, pierógi, pyrohy, pirogi, pyrogie, or pyrogy; juvenile diminutive form: Pierożki Polish pronunciation: [pjɛˈrɔʂki] also in use) are dumplings of unleavened dough – first boiled, then they are baked or fried usually in butter with onions – traditionally stuffed with potato filling, sauerkraut, ground meat, cheese, or fruit. Of central and eastern European provenance, they are usually semicircular, but are rectangular or triangular in some cuisines.
The Polish word pierogi is plural; the singular form pieróg is rarely used, as a typical serving consists of several pierogi.
Pierogi are similar to the Russian pelmeni or Ukrainian varenyky and are not to be confused with pirozhki (the Russian word for stuffed fried buns) or a pirog (the Russian word for "pie"). Polish pierogi ruskie are similar to the Ukrainian varenyky in version with potatoes and cottage cheese (quark).
Now I must admit, I tried both fried and boiled and as much as I hate the boiled ones I love the fried ones!
P.S. You can NEVER go wrong with fried pierogi - type: pierogi ruskie ;) This is a tip! ;) Remember it :p
And guess what?! Food was ordered and served and eaten in less than an hour ;) Mission accomplished ;)

**I made this post, again, out of love for this awesome place - Bona - Ksiazka i kawa - and I was not repayed in any way :p**

Yours truly,
The Pierogi Lover LadyBug :)