Image Map

Wednesday, 25 December 2013

The Ghost Of Christmas Present

Dear friends,

I wish not to scare you away with the words of the Spirit Of The Christmas Present but I must...
***
Ebenezer Scrooge: [on Tiny Tim] Tell me, Spirit... Will he live?
Ghost of Christmas Present: I see an empty place at this table. I see a crutch without an owner, carefully preserved. If these shadows remain unaltered by the future, the child will die.
Ebenezer Scrooge: No. Say he'll be spared.
Ghost of Christmas Present: If these shadows remain unaltered by the future, none other of my species will find him here. But if he is to die, then let him die...! "AND DECREASE THE SURPLUS POPULATION!"
Ebenezer Scrooge: You use my own words against me?
Ghost of Christmas Present: Yes! So perhaps, in the future, you will hold your tongue until you have discovered where the surplus population is, and WHO it is. It may well be that, in the sight of Heaven, you are more worthless and less fit to live than MILLIONS like this poor man's child.
***
 Now I do not want you to choke on the Christmas pudding or on the roasted pig/duckling/turkey, but I believe that we all should have, each day, an encounter with the Christmas Spirits. And the one for today - The Spirit of Christmas Present - will be the hardest one yet that I had to face... and I hope it is the same for you, as this is more of an awakening call... life is not all about bows and ribbons and presents and smiles. Sometimes life hits you hard in the face and you need to be ready for it. Whenever the hit may come! 
***
 My Grandfather died not long ago. He and my Granny raised me up and my sister until we reached 5th grade. They have and always will be part of us. Their influence and wisdom and knowledge came upon us ever since we were wee lasses. He was the most awesome accountant you could ever set your eyes upon. He was deputy in the city I was raised and even though people wanted him as a mayor he was also a humble person. The city florished while he was there, working, and all the people from the tiny children to the older people knew him or knew about him. He loved us dearly and he would always come and talk to us and play with us. He always let me work with him and count the numbers in his General Ledger. When people would ask me what I wanted to be when I would grow up, I would say I wanted to be an accountant. Just like my Grandpa. My sister wanted to be a teacher, just like my Grandma. I married my lovely husband on the 7th of December - on Saint Nicholas day, we gave eachother the perfect present. The very next morning my mum told me that my Grandpa died the week before my wedding but they choose not to tell me as I would not have gone on with the wedding and be happy, as I was that day. I never got a chance to say goodbye...
***
 Spirit of Christmas Present: So! Is your heart still unmoved towards us, then?
Ebenezer: I'm too old and beyond hope! Go and redeem some younger, more promising creature, and leave me to keep Christmas in my own way!
Spirit of Christmas Present: Mortal! We Spirits of Christmas do not live only one day of our year. We live the whole three-hundred and sixty-five. So is it true of the Child born in Bethlehem. He does not live in men's hearts one day of the year, but in all days of the year. You have chosen not to seek Him in your heart. Therefore, you will come with me and seek Him in the hearts of men of good will. 
***
This Christmas is the first Christmas away from family - both my husbands and mine, 2 years ago I got to spend Christmas with my husband's family... I don't know how this day will pas and what the future will bring me... will bring us! Now we are no longer a couple but we are a FAMILY! We know that we love eachother and that we respect eachother and we promised that we will never lie and hold truths from one another. We have our very own Christmas tree that we decorated together... we are building a new life and we are creating new memories. We are making the best out of where God placed us. We know that what we have is true love and we trust eachother. My husband and my family has been with me through this time and I still don't know what to do or say... It feels wrong to laugh and smile and be happy yet I know that my Grandpa would like me to be happy for my marriage and my husband. It is true that during this time of year you feel things more strongly, but I cannot help but feeling that this pain inside will never go. I would have loved my children - when they will come, God willing - to have met my Grandpa... I pray now that my Grandma stays strong and I hope that she knows how much I love her. How much my husband also loves her and respects her. We love you Buni! :* With all our hearts!
***
Christmas is here and you are unwrapping your presents and maybe you are happy... maybe you are sad... Christmas is a time of love. Be loving to the people around you. Tell them how much they mean to you! Tell them that they mean the world to you and by them passing away a piece of your heart goes with them as well! Tell them how much you love them and how the person you are now thanks them and reflects their love. Christmas time is not all about mistletoe and wine and gifts and running around like lunatics to make the most of one day. Christmas means that you have to live and love! Let your heart open and shine bright. Meet your family or call them if they are not near you and if you cannot visit them and they are miles off... Meet your friends or invite them over - hey, that is exactly what we are doing ;) - and give them surprise presents... small gifts... small tokens of friendship and love. Don't overdo it with the cooking and the eating! Think of all the people that have nothing to put on their plates... Don't be like the Romans and eat until you wanna puke and then eat some more until you pass out. Be logical and use your head in combination with your heart and tell everyone how much you love them! They need to hear that and you will feel much better just by simply saying that out loud! Live in the present but keeping in mind the past and thinking of the future, but remember that you never know when you will pass away, so keep things straight and talk to God!

Yours truly,
The LadyBug who talked to the Spirit of the Christmas Present