Image Map

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

You Are The Only Wife I’ve Got Or Ever Will Have

Dear friends,

**WARNING!!! This post contains a review of The Young Victoria and also some trivia regarding it and Queen Victoria's relationship with Prince Albert. It will be an extensive post and it will have loads of pictures and text so please grab yourself a cup of tea and a warm blanket and Enjoy!**
Princess Victoria: Do you ever feel like a chess piece yourself? In a game being played against your will.
Prince Albert: Do you?
Princess Victoria: Constantly. I see them leaning in and moving me around the board.
Prince Albert: The Duchess and Sir John?
Princess Victoria: Not just them. Uncle Leopold. The king. I'm sure half the politicians are ready to seize hold of my skirts and drag me from square to square.
Prince Albert: Then you had better master the rules of the game until you play it better than they can.
Princess Victoria: You don't recommend I find a husband to play it for me?
Prince Albert: I should find one to play it with you, not for you.
SPOILER ALERT: Proposal scene :)
As you know by now :) I am a very happy wife for over 3 days now, 4th one now rolling and many more happy days to go! As it is the festive season and I am very much in the watching movies mood I thought I would share one of my favourite period movies with you. The Young Victoria was released in 2009 and it is "a dramatization of the turbulent first years of Queen Victoria's rule, and her enduring romance with Prince Albert", as IMDB shortly puts it ;)It is graded 7.2 out of 10 stars and it is historically accurate and extremely delightful to watch.
You are the only wife I’ve got or ever will have. You are my whole existence and I will love you until my very last breath.” — Albert, The Young Victoria
Even my adorable husband knows about this movie as I was rewatching it at the beginning of our relationship and one day I dedicated a song from the soundtrack to him :) Shall I point now out that Sinead O'Connor is part of the team that recorded the soundtrack?! you need to listen to it and even while watching the movie you will fall in love with it at first hearing. The songs are played at right moments and not once you will get goosebumps.
I also choose to present you this movie as it shows the relationship between Victoria and Albert. They had a very beautiful relationship that grew strong in respect and love for one another. And even though they had fights and misunderstandings - hey! every couple has that! - they always loved eachother and fought for their relationship. Even though Albert was her cousin - marriages in the family were and still are popular in the monarchy - they hit off very well and in 1840 Victoria - as custom demanded - proposed to him. After Albert's death in 1861, Victoria plunged into deep mourning and avoided public appearances - until her death she still had his clothes put out in the morning, as if he was about to dress up... That, my friends, is true love - even after one of the parts in the couple is dead the other person still lives on with the memories.
 "I’m sure you’re aware why I wished you to come here. Because it would make me happier than anything, too happy really, if you would agree to what I wish."
"And stay with you?"
“And stay with me.”
"And marry you?"
“And marry me!”
(the Proposal scene in the movie)
 A bit of Trivia on the movie:
  • Emily Blunt's costumes wore were insured for £10,000 each.
  • Many of the interior scenes were filmed at Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire. The bed used in the honeymoon scene was slept in by the real Queen Victoria when she visited the castle in 1843. The bedroom is so small that all the cameras had to be placed outside the windows.
  • The very tall green bed cost £25,000 to build. The Duke and Duchess of Rutland, owners of Belvoir Castle, purchased it after filming.
  • The 'seaside' scenes were filmed at Belvoir Castle, approximately 70 miles from the sea. The 'sand' is actually on the terrace (roof of the ground floor) of the castle. The surrounding Vale of Belvoir was digitally replaced with 'seawater'.
  • The floppy mesh bonnet Emily Blunt wears in the garden is the same one Rosamund Pike wears in Meryton when she learns Mr. Bingley has returned to Netherfield in Pride and Prejudice (2005), Catherine Walker wears in the garden with Catherine in Northanger Abbey (2007), and an extra wears at church in Becoming Jane (2007).
  • The dress Victoria wears for her first meeting with her council is a copy of the actual dress Queen Victoria wore on this occasion. It survives and as of March 26, 2012, is on display at Kensington Palace as part of the new Victoria Revealed exhibition. It is on public display in the Red Saloon (the actual room of her first Privy Council). It has since faded to brown as the black dye at the time was not stable.

Cameo 

Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria:  one of Victoria's ladies in waiting.

Spoilers 

The scene in which Albert is shot while shielding Victoria from an assassination attempt is based on a real attempt that took place June 10, 1840. Edward Oxford, an unemployed barkeep, fired two pistols toward the Queen's carriage as she and Albert rode on Constitution Hill near Buckingham Palace. The movie, however, contains several significant departures from the facts. In real life, Albert was not injured. The court was never able to prove that Oxford had shot anything but gunpowder from his guns. Oxford was acquitted by reason of insanity, and committed to the Bethlem Royal Hospital's criminal lunatic ward.
I want this dress <3
Part of Young Victoria diary around 1836 - According to her diary, she enjoyed Albert's company from the beginning. After the visit she wrote, "[Albert] is extremely handsome; his hair is about the same colour as mine; his eyes are large and blue, and he has a beautiful nose and a very sweet mouth with fine teeth; but the charm of his countenance is his expression, which is most delightful."Victoria wrote to her uncle Leopold, whom Victoria considered her "best and kindest adviser", to thank him "for the prospect of great happiness you have contributed to give me, in the person of dear Albert ... He possesses every quality that could be desired to render me perfectly happy. He is so sensible, so kind, and so good, and so amiable too. He has besides the most pleasing and delightful exterior and appearance you can possibly see." However at 17, Victoria, though interested in Albert, was not yet ready to marry. The parties did not undertake a formal engagement, but assumed that the match would take place in due time.
***
She showed interest in Albert's education for the future role he would have to play as her husband, but she resisted attempts to rush her into wedlock.
Victoria continued to praise Albert following his second visit in October 1839. Albert and Victoria felt mutual affection and the Queen proposed to him on 15 October 1839, just five days after he had arrived at Windsor. They were married on 10 February 1840, in the Chapel Royal of St. James's Palace, London. Victoria was besotted. She spent the evening after their wedding lying down with a headache, but wrote ecstatically in her diary:
I NEVER, NEVER spent such an evening!!! MY DEAREST DEAREST DEAR Albert ... his excessive love & affection gave me feelings of heavenly love & happiness I never could have hoped to have felt before! He clasped me in his arms, & we kissed each other again & again! His beauty, his sweetness & gentleness – really how can I ever be thankful enough to have such a Husband! ... to be called by names of tenderness, I have never yet heard used to me before – was bliss beyond belief! Oh! This was the happiest day of my life!
Albert became an important political adviser as well as the Queen's companion, replacing Lord Melbourne as the dominant, influential figure in the first half of her life.


In 1897, Victoria had written instructions for her funeral, which was to be military as befitting a soldier's daughter and the head of the army, and white instead of black. On 25 January, Edward VII, the Kaiser and Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, helped lift her into the coffin. She was dressed in a white dress and her wedding veil. An array of mementos commemorating her extended family, friends and servants were laid in the coffin with her, at her request, by her doctor and dressers. One of Albert's dressing gowns was placed by her side, with a plaster cast of his hand.
via
Look at the attention for the details! I loved each and every single dress! But the green one is my absolute fav ;)
Victoria and Albert were a very lucky couple. They managed to find eachother in this sea of people called Earth. Albert waited for Victoria until she was sure that it is the right moment for her to settle down and get married but she knew long before then that her true choice, her one choice was Albert. He understood that she is The Queen and that he was always there for her, one step behind, helping her along the way. She became more sure on herself and bloomed up from a girl playing chess surrounded by her guardians to a beautiful woman certain on her decisions and actions. I love this movie not only for the historical facts, the amazing soundtrack or the beautiful and eye-grasping scenery. Not even for the amount and the number of models of dresses, the fabrics, the lines, the textures... I love it mainly due to Victoria and Albert. And due to the fact that Albert is very much alike my wonderful husband :) He is always there for me and he was there since the beginning when I was very much a pain in the arse and ignoring him... He is the reason I wake up in the morning with a smile on my face - I smile due to the fact that I know he will make my day better. I love him as he never puts himself first - it is always me and us. And I admit I learned so many things from him. I learned how to make a relationship strong, how to let go of things and how it is to gain new experiences :)

**I did this review out of love and I really hope you will get to see this movie :) I do not own a DVD of it, yet! I am ashamed to say this but I am glad to say it it on my To Buy List. You can watch it alone or you could watch it with friends or better yet watch it with your significant other and see how your relationship fits into Victoria-Albert pattern! I know mine does and I love that! **

Yours truly,
The LadyBug Who Is Very Much In Love :)