Image Map

Tuesday, 7 January 2014

DIY: A Kind Of Polish Salad

Dear friends,

Here we are in the New Year and still no sign of snow whatsoever! What is going on? I think Mother Nature is quite mad on us and choose to change temperatures and weather everywhere. Egypt had snow for Christmas and now for New Year and the days after we have the USA down under heavy snow - people in NYC, in Manhattan, do pictures of themselves doing snow angels... In Poland this weekend we had temperatures over 10 degrees Celsius and we even had some rain Saturday evening... So for today why not try our first DIY of the year?! A cold salad for the warm temperatures outside ;)
Now for this salad you can let your imagination run wild and do whatever you want from whatever you have in the fridge. One thing I learned here in Poland - as an expat - was the fact that most salads here are made with rice. Now that is a wild notion! If you would ever tell a Romanian that you would like to add in the salad some rice they would give you a wild look and consider you mad. The first time I tried a salad with rice I was prepared to swallow hard as it would taste aweful... well, surprise my friends, it actually tasted awesome!
***
For the combined Romanian-Polish salad of our own creation I used:
- a whole jar of black olives
- one big onion
- 2 jars of mushrooms with onion conserved in vinegar, from my husbands awesome uncle (You may have remember me posting a bit about him here ;) Enjoy!)
- 4 big tomatoes
- a bunch of small and red radishes
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 big spoons of mayo
- condiments as you wish :) This was my husbands part as I am kind of a novice when it comes to how much I should put... I admit it, I need to learn!
+ the amazing white rice ;) and that amount depends on you, my friends (we used 2 packs out of the 4 pack kit so it was not that frightening ;) for 2 people).
***
What you need to do is boil the rice and while you do that cut all the above in small pieces - as small as you wish them to be ;) I also did the olives. Cut them 2 or 3 times, according to how big they were, but no worries you can leave them like that if you wish - or you are too lazy :p Then unpack the rice, let it cool, put the cut mushrooms/onion/tomatoe/cucumber/radishes and mix them around slowly. You can ever use your hands so don't be afraid to get dirty ;) After mixing them let them sit for a while and then add the mayo and stir them again and ask your adorable husband to add the spices. Oh! Wait! That is what I did ;))) So you need to add the salt/pepper/paprika totally according to your taste and tongue so please be careful and put the condiments slow and taste it as you go. When you are done let it stand a bit in the fridge - an hour or two - and then serve it with some bread or some meat on the side. Enjoy! :)

Yours truly,
The LadyBug with help from Pinocchio :)