Image Map

Thursday, 23 January 2014

Time Is Priceless But It's Free

Dear friends,

**WARNING!!! This post contains a review of The Time Traveller's Wife and also some trivia regarding it. It will be an extensive post and it will have loads of pictures and text so please grab yourself a cup of tea, a warm blanket and a huge box of napkins! I mean it! Also this post contains spoilers so in case you did not see this movie - shame on you! - and you hate people who spoil things... well... you can pass this one. But you shouldn't ;) **
It’s hard being left behind. I wait for Henry, not knowing where he is, wondering if he’s okay. It’s hard to be the one who stays.
I keep myself busy. Time goes faster that way.
I go to sleep alone, and wake up alone. I take walks. I work until I’m tired. I watch the wind play with the trash that’s been under the snow all winter. Everything seems simple until you think about it. Why is love intensified by absence?
Long ago, men went to sea, and women waited for them, standing on the edge of the water, scanning the horizon for the tiny ship. Now I wait for Henry. He vanishes unwillingly, without warning. I wait for him. Each moment that I wait feels like a year, an eternity. Each moment is as slow and transparent as glass. Through each moment I can see infinite moments lined up, waiting. Why has he gone where I cannot follow?
 Clare Abshire, PROLOGUE (The Time Traveler’s Wife, p. 1
I can't help it for falling for a good love story or a good romantic drama and this is what is The Time Traveller's Wife all about. Last year I went with Ewa to see the movie About Time and I loved it - maybe I shall even do a review on that one later on ;) She told me later on that this movie resembled somewhat to the movie The Time Traveller's Wife and I should watch it as I would cry my eyes out - I must point out at this point that the main female character is played by the same person, the lovely lady Rachel McAdams and the story is pretty much the same... I dully noted and said I will watch it. I did not manage to find the right time or the right mood until last Friday when I was all alone in the house - the perfect moment to unpack a fresh pack of napkins ;) I started watching it and bit by bit the story caught me. Henry DeTamble is the main character and he is the Time Traveller. You might immediately recognise him as the pretty australian Eric Bana who played as Henry Tudor in The Other Boleyn Girl or maybe even from Hulk... your choice ;) Henry's wife - named Clare Abshire - is played by the delightful Rachel McAdams - to name a few: About Time, Midnight in Paris, The Notebook and last but not least Sherlock Holmes (the one with the adorable Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law) where she played the most deadly and seductive Irene Adler I have ever layed my eyes upon!
***
Now Henry discovers about the age of 6 that he can involuntarly time travel. Now he is no Benjamin Button and growing backwards but he can go in time ahead and backwards - of course this will also mean that we will be seeing something that everyone would like to do if they ever would time travel. That is right ;) He playes the lotto and wins for Clare the house of their dreams with a huge garage so that she could continue her work - oh, I forgot to tell you, she is quite an artist ;) Henry works as a librarian in Chicago and there it is where they meet for the first time... The funny part is this is actually not the first time they meet as Henry can time travel so he starts "haunting" this small girl who falls in love with him: Clare. The continue to have regular meetings until they really meet at the age where both of them are equals - yet Clare knows him and he has no idea who she is... How odd is to know your future husband aged, around 40, and them meet him again when you are both around 20?! Oh... you are not as grown up as I thought you would be!... Odd... At first I thought that the main idea of him travelling back in time to her is the fact that she will die... I could not have been more further from the truth! Note to self: next time read the book! - yes, there is a book after which the movie was made ;) He travels in time to spend as much time he can with her as he will die... He will die when their daughter will turn 5... and guess what?! The daughter will inherit his genes and become a child prodigy and she will be able to choose when and where to go in time ;)
One of my personal fav parts in the movie is when Henry realises that Clare is the one he loves so he goes back in time to see his mother and after goes to his father to ask for his mothers engagement and wedding ring. Then he comes back home and Clare is sleeping, he kneels by the bed and takes the ring, puts it on her finger and kisses her hand. She wakes up and they have the cutest conversation ever ;))) It touched me as it was pretty much how my husband did it and somewhat like my reaction.
Henry DeTamble: I never wanted to have anything in my life that I couldn't stand losing. But it's too late for that. It's not because you're beautiful and smart. I don't feel alone anymore. Will you marry me?
Clare Abshire: No. I didn't mean that. I just wanted to try it, to say it, to assert my own sense of free will, but my free will wants you.
Henry DeTamble: So it's a yes?
Clare Abshire: Yes, of course.
 ***
I also love their daughter, Alba, who is a bit too much grown up... considering that at her 5th year birthday her 10 year old version of self is popping for a visit to tell her that Daddy will soon die... Well I dunno how you get past this kind of imformation, even if you are a prodigy child! Leaving that aside I do believe that Alba is very nicely played and she helps Henry in trusting the fact that Clare will not miscarriage again and that they truly have a chance to be happy - don't we all want that?! The good chemistry between Eric Bana dand Rachel McAdams really makes you believe in their connection and love and they make you laugh and cry your eyes out... So grab yourself some fresh Kleenex, sit down and relax and let yourself go in this lovely drama. 
***
“Don't you think it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to be just okay for your whole life?” 
“Time is priceless, but it’s Free. You can't own it, you can use it. You can spend it. But you can't keep it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.”  
Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife 

Yours truly,
A LadyBug that hopes that one day you will watch this movie :)