Image Map

Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Wouldn't You Like Warsaw As Well?

Dear friends,

I know yesterday I was telling you to come and visit Krakow, but when you are done with Krakow take a 1-2 day trip to Warsaw as well. You will have interesting things to see there as well. I know it may seem a grey and dull place but you have to keep in mind that it is not the city it used to be. Warsaw was wiped out completely during the Second World War and was reconstructed from scratch by very brave people. The Main Square - the "old" one... - may seem old but it is only a few dozen of years old. Google pictures of Warsaw in '45 and you will see what I mean! The lovely side was the fact that people did not choose another place to build this city but stood their ground firm and cleaned up this place. They build new houses after new and old fashion so that people would remember what used to be... Warsaw is not as glamourous as Krakow is but still it is a gem!
The Christmas Decorations were still on :)
 There are many things to visit in Warsaw but here are My Top 4 Places To Go To In Warsaw:
  • Warsaw Uprising Museum - Dare not speak to me if you are ever in Warsaw and you will not go there! DARE NOT! This museum - I think - was designed by the same people who designed the Schindlers Factory. All is done very unconventionally and you get to touch and see and smell you way around it. Hey! They even have an airplane in it! The museum documents the struggle with cases of militia armbands and weaponry alongside replicas of underground radio stations and torn letters delivered by the Uprising postal service.
  • Stare Miasto or The Old Town - where you can see how awesome Polish people are in redoing the buildings so that you would actually think they are as old as time... I knew that they were not really old yet I still to ask my husband - the first time I saw them, years ago :p - if they are indeed fresh build and no older than '45... You go and have a look and tell me what you think ;)
  • The Mermaid - I think I already told you about the story of the Warsaw Mermaid but you can read it again on this external site ;)
  • Chopin's Heart - yes, my friends, his grave is in Paris but his heart is in Warsaw ;) Frédéric François Chopin , born Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin, was a Romantic-era Polish composer. A child prodigy, Chopin grew up in Warsaw, completed his musical education there, and composed many of his works there before leaving Poland, aged 20, less than a month before the outbreak of the November 1830 Uprising. Chopin requested that his body be opened after death (for fear of being buried alive) and his heart returned to Warsaw.
If you wanna know more about my other Warsaw posts you can read more here:
Now I am not mentioning here all the things I have not yet seen so I shall be back with more when I will find something good to share with you adorable people who read this blog :*

Yours truly,
A LadyBug that thinks you should visit both Warsaw & Krakow to make up your mind ;)