Image Map

Friday, 28 February 2014

Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give A...

Dear friends,

I could not end the phrase that my title was supposed to be as I am trying my best to reduce the amount of swearing and bad words recently. I hope you know, though, from which movie the quote is. And if you know now, well... you are in for a treat! as today I shall be telling you about one of the movies that changed my childhood - the movie Gone With The Wind from 1939. I always loved this movie and usually I would watch it on the MGM Channel in 2 parts - as it is quite extensive!
I always loved Scarlett even though I always thought her a pain in the arse and an ungrateful lady. Melanie was always the wide audience fav but Scarlett had a strenght that you see in few people/characters. But today we shall not be speaking of the movie but rather of the wonderful costumes, and especially my fav costume in the movie that Scarlett wore - the green velvet dress! The green velvet dressing gown worn by Vivien Leigh in the role of Scarlett O’Hara has been recently restored by the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas, Austin, together with four other costumes made for the same film. The costumes were designed by Walter Plunkett.
As the movie goes, Scarlett desperately rips down her curtains to turn them into a dress to impress Rhett Butler. The dress did its job, but it wasn't built to last. "Just the weight of the velvet of this dress pulls the seams apart," Steve Wilson, the center's film curator, tells NPR's Scott Simon.
Wilson is involved in the center's effort to raise $30,000 to repair the curtain outfit and four other costumes, including the wedding dress Scarlett wore to marry Charles Hamilton instead of her love, Ashley Wilkes.
That dress was designed to tell its own story, Wilson says. It was actually fitted on the actress who played Scarlett's mother rather than Leigh, to underscore the rushed nature of the wedding.

"The dress is a little bit too large, and it's in an old style," Wilson says. Scarlett wouldn't have had time to have her own dress made, so she would have worn her mother's. "So just very quickly, looking at her wearing that dress, it tells you a lot about the back story."
"Really," he adds, "there's nothing that captures the human aspect of a film the way a costume does."
There are those who say $30,000 is too much to think about right now, and tomorrow is another day. But frankly, Wilson says, "there are just as many people who do give a damn about these costumes."
(source)
Just look at the picture above of the green velvet dress made out of the curtains :) She has a very innovative mind and where normal people see a stop to their ideeas she sees a challenge. Scarlett taking down the curtains and making the velvet dress reminds me very much of Maria, in The Sound Of Music, when Capitan Von Trapp tells her children do not need play clothes as they do not play - and she takes down the curtains in her room and makes wonderful play clothes for all the 7 children! :) When there is a will there is always a way! I always loved that, her stubborness, her willingness to break walls in order to achieve what she wanted and needed. I am a huge fan of the green color so I have to say I am happy most of Scarlett's clothes are either green or red - also matching to her beautiful eyes and her fiery hair ;) The green velvet dress and the green overcoat/dress with long sleeves touching the ground were always my favs.

I do not know if you ever watched Gone With The Wind, but I would love to hear what was your fav piece of costume ;) What would you not mind wearing? As you can see, I have some in mind ;)

Yours truly,
A LadyBug Who Loves Scarlett's Dresses :)