Image Map

Monday, 17 March 2014

Everyone's Irish On March 17th!

Dear friends,

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
I have to admit it! I am a huge fan of Ireland even though I have never layed my feet upon the green grass of that country. It is a weakness I have since I was a wee lass and I used to stare mesmerised at the wonderful tap dancing of Michael Flatley - The True Lord Of The Dance!!! I used to listen U2 and The Corrs hours upon hours and I would never get enough of it. I have no Irish origins but my heart feels for the green green grass of Ireland and recognizes all the beautiful things Irish people gave us :) So it would be very unproper to let this day go by and not say a word of it! After all, today is Saint Patrick's Day and on this day everyone is Irish :)  So get your party hats on and let's get started! Just make sure you have a fresh pint of Guiness right next to you and we will get cracking ;)
Saint Patrick's Day honors Ireland's patron saint who died on this day in 461. Originally, the colour associated with Saint Patrick was blue. Over the years the colour green and its association with Saint Patrick's Day grew. Green ribbons and shamrocks were worn in celebration of St Patrick's Day as early as the 17th century. Saint Patrick is said to have used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pagan Irish, and the ubiquitous wearing and display of shamrocks and shamrock-inspired designs has become a feature of the day. In the 1798 rebellion, to make a political statement, Irish soldiers wore full green uniforms on 17 March in hopes of catching public attention. The phrase "the wearing of the green", meaning to wear a shamrock on one's clothing, derives from a song of the same name. (via wonderful Wikipedia, our best friend).
***
But let me tell you a bit more of Ireland's patron, Saint Patrick. He was born in 387 in Britain to a Roman family - his father was a magistrate and his original name was Maewyn. In the early 400s he was taken to Ireland as a slave and after 6 years he escaped to France where he started to study becoming a priest. In 432 he was sent to Ireland as a Christian missionary by Pope Celestine I, who named him Patricius - which meand noble in Latin ;) He introduced the Roman alphabet and Latin literature and Christianized the land. It is a legend that states that by playing the drum he got rid of all the snakes in Ireland and now you can never find one there - I am curious to see if that fact is indeed true :)

Anyway, I wish you all a very lovely and Irish Monday :) When you get home from work relax and have a Guiness and put on some U2 or The Corrs and immerse yourself in the wonderful world of Ireland :)

So... May Ádh na nÉireannach (Luck of the Irish) be always with you :*
Yours truly,
A Irish LadyBug