Image Map

Saturday, 8 March 2014

Women's Day - Mother's Day

Dear friends,

** This post may get very sentimental and mushy so proceed at your own risk ;) **

Mother's Day is a celebration honoring mothers and motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society. It is celebrated on various days in many parts of the world, most commonly in March or May. It complements Father's Day, a similar celebration honoring fathers.
The celebration of Mother's Day began in the United States in the early 20th century; it is not related to the many celebrations of mothers and motherhood that have occurred throughout the world over thousands of years, such as the Greek cult to Cybele, the Roman festival of Hilaria, or the Christian Mothering Sunday celebration. Despite this, in some countries Mother's Day has become synonymous with these older traditions.
In Romania, since 2010, Mother's Day is celebrated on the first Sunday of May. Law 319/2009 made both Mother's Day and Father's Day official holidays in Romania. The measure was passed thanks to campaign efforts from the Alliance Fighting Discrimination Against Fathers (TATA). Previously, Mother's Day was celebrated on 8 March, as part of International Women's Day (a tradition from the days when Romania was part of the communist block). Now Mother's Day and Women's Day are two separate holidays, with Women's Day keeping its original date of 8 March. (source)
As today is Women's Day back home, and as a faithful expat, I thought I may share with you some customs and maybe some stories from this day. My sister and I always celebrated my mother and my grandmother ever since the 1st of March. As I told you before, we were always eager to buy with our pocket money little gifts for the ones we love. Sometimes we would team up and sometimes we would go wild and each of us would buy something. We never discriminated and when we bought mum something for Women's/Mother's Day than we would also buy Granny something nice. Granny for me is like a second mother and my best friend and not giving her something would hurt me - after all she was the one who raised both me and my sister until we both turned to 5th grade.
 ***
My mum was always and is still a smart and lovely lady - I bet all guys were falling for her ;) Everyone who meets her immediately falls in love with her! She is kind and she always knows how to behave and what to say in every situation. Even though she is very much sentimental - just like I am ;) - she is one step ahead and can control her emotions. I never saw her taking a wrong step or doing anything wrong my whole life - at least not in front of my own eyes. I have always loved to be around my mum and Grandma as they always had so much to share! When I will grow up I just wanna be like they are - wise, proper, kind and sensitive :* Mum was the one who taught me how to draw, when she saw me all day scribling and drawing about. She told me of the sense of proportion, how to look at things and see that the flower should not be bigger than the house and, even if the girl I drew was nice, people do not have green hair ;) She was the one who let me try on lipstick - and we immediately found out that was NOT my thing, and that I would eat it rather than have it on my lips ;))) She would also be my best friend and I remember being able to tell her everything that passed my head. Together we would go shopping, we would go for long walks, we would go to church, to concerts and we would enjoy the time we had - just the two of us.
She always somehow knew that one day I would fly away from the nest, so when I told her on my second year of University that I want to spent my whole summer in the USA she was supportive - by that time she could see that I have already caught the traveling disease :) Even though deep inside she wanted me to stay and be close she was happy for the chances and experiences I have been through. I know it was hard for all my family when she found out that I want to go to Poland and live and work there... I know that my grandparents and my mum were the most affected and I try not to think of it as I know that might bring me to tears. But it is a HUGE!!! comfort to know that they have eachother and my sister is there, with them. My sister was the crazy and wild one in the family yet I left the nest so that makes me sad... makes me somehow like I have betrayed them. But I know that most of all what my mum wishes for us is to be happy and make our own road in life - she can guide us and give us advice but she knows we are as stubborn as it gets. Not once my mum said that she has faith in me, that if I would put my mind to it I would pass through any wall :) I am proud to hear her say that and that gives me strenght!
***
Today we are celebrating Women's Day - I will also celebrate Mother's Day! But in fact I believe that we should celebrate that every day of our lifes! I think that every women and every mother should feel special and wanted and needed and cared for each day of their lifes. I am proud of the women in my life, no matter the generation! I am proud of my awesome Granny who raised me up and taught me how to walk and talk and act like a lady - well as much as my rebelious spirit could hold... I am proud of my kick arse mother who was my best friend in confidant - I so miss having the usual walks and talks together... I am very proud of my brilliant big sister ever since the first moment as I know her potential and her talent - noone will ever be able to fill in her shoes, no matter her job position, trust me! Now I really hope you - lads and lasses - recognise the ladies in your home and treat them with respect and care, just as they deserve it! :) 

P.S. Now go, pick up the phone and tell your Grandma/Mum/Sister/Aunt/Girlfriend/Fiancee/Wife how much you love her and NEVER forget that! :)

Yours truly,
A LadyBug That Loves Her Mum :*