Image Map

Thursday, 17 April 2014

My Kingdom For A Horse

Dear friends,

Who here that reads this blog likes to play chess? :) I for one am really bad at it even though in my early years my dad tried to teach me it. I would always lose as I would always start the game by playing the horses. I must admit I was called suicidal by one of the girls I have played chess with, but hey! I always did it for the game/fun as I knew I did not prepare myself for winning. I guess I never had the patience for it :)
The first weekend of this month there was a Chess Weekend at Galeria Krakowska and people could join in and play chess inside the galery. They did this last year as well, as I remember thinking my father would have loved to be there and play as well. He is quite a fan! From him I learned about Gari Kasparov, the Russian chess Grandmaster, former World Chess Champion who got beat up by a computer :)
Kasparov became the youngest ever undisputed World Chess Champion in 1985 at age 22 by defeating then-champion Anatoly Karpov. Still... that did not mean that the fight between Man VS. Machine was not won by a computer - how wicked is that?!
So this weekend, my husband and I, had a nice stroll along the Galeria and had a good view over the place. The new present from my husband is just amazing and I will continuously say that: I love this fisheye lens! I love the way I can capture the big picture in it and how it gives so much space so I could show you more of my world :) It makes me think that you feel you are there, next to me, seeing the things I can see :)
“It was like when you make a move in chess and just as you take your finger off the piece, you see the mistake you've made, and there's this panic because you don't know yet the scale of disaster you've left yourself open to.”
Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go
“In chess, as a purely intellectual game, where randomness is excluded, - for someone to play against himself is absurd ...
It is as paradoxical, as attempting to jump over his own shadow.”
Stefan Zweig, Chess Story
“He examined the chess problem and set out the pieces. It was a tricky ending, involving a couple of knights.
'White to play and mate in two moves.'
Winston looked up at the portrait of Big Brother. White always mates, he thought with a sort of cloudy mysticism. Always, without exception, it is so arranged. In no chess problem since the beginning of the world has black ever won. Did it not symbolize the eternal, unvarying triumph of Good over Evil? The huge face gazed back at him, full of calm power. White always mates.”
George Orwell, 1984
“Like most conversations and most chess games, we all start off the same and we all end the same, with a brief moment of difference in between. Fertilization to fertilizer. Ashes to ashes. And we spark across the gap.”
Brian Christian, The Most Human Human: What Talking with Computers Teaches Us About What It Means to Be Alive
***
What about you, lads and lasses, do you play chess? Do you go with whites or with blacks? Do you start madly with a horse or you just go safely with a pawn? How do you like to play? Or do you like other games and you are not that much into chess? I would like to hear more :)
 
Yours truly,
A LadyBug That Sucks At Chess