Image Map

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

You Love Me. Real Or Not Real?

Dear friends,

* It is time to brace yourself as this post will be quite extensive and there will be loads and loads of colorful pictures of the Hohenzollern Bridge in Cologne/Koln. Hope you enjoy them ;) and I hope they will put a smile on your face, I know that they make me smile :) **

Today I shall tell you the following visit that we did after we visited the dark and gloomy Cathedral of Cologne. The Hohenzollern Bridge is right next to the Dom and you just need to get to the back and you will already see the bridge in its full glory. It is a pedestrian + train bridge that connects the 2 sides of the Rhein and it hold a huge amount of love locks that we took our time and we had a look. I am not pulling any tricks on you today, even though it is April Fools Day, so sit tight and wait for the pictures to load - it may take a while...
 “You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay
Today I shall not bother you with a lot of text, I want you to enjoy the pictures.I could not stop myself from taking loads and loads of pictures with the locks... The weather changed from being sun-covered-by-clouds sky while we were in the Cathedral, to a lovely smiley sunny sky while we were on the bridge.
We took turns - Dana and Marek and me - in turning eachother weird locks.
The Hohenzollern Bridge (German: Hohenzollernbrücke) is a bridge crossing the river Rhine in the German city of Cologne (German Köln). It crosses the Rhine at kilometre 688.5. Originally, the bridge was both a railway and street bridge, however, after its destruction in 1945 and its subsequent reconstruction, it was only accessible to rail and pedestrian traffic.
It is the most heavily used railway bridge in Germany, connecting the Köln Hauptbahnhof and Köln Messe/Deutz stations.
The bridge was constructed between 1907 and 1911 after the old bridge, the Cathedral Bridge (Dombrücke), was demolished. The Cathedral Bridge was unable to handle the increasing traffic in Cologne. It was named after the House of Hohenzollern.
The Hohenzollern Bridge was one of the most important bridges in Germany during World War II; even under consistent daily airstrikes the bridge was not badly damaged. On 6 March 1945, German military engineers blew up the bridge when Allied troops began their assault on Cologne.
After the war, reconstruction was quickly organized; by 8 May 1948, the Hohenzollern Bridge was accessible by pedestrians again. Over the next eleven years the bridge was improved until by 1959 it was usable without any impairment. During the 1980s, the bridge was renovated with two new tracks.
The Hohenzollern Bridge now regularly has over 1200 trains pass through daily. The bridge is regarded as an important part of Cologne as it connects Cologne's central station with major European cities on the other side of the Rhine.
The total length of the Hohenzollern Bridge is 409.19 meters (1,342.5 ft).
Since 2008 people have placed love padlocks on the fence between the sidewalk and the tracks.
Dutch band Nits dedicated a song to this in the song "Love Locks" from their 2012 album Malpensa.
Unlike Rome or Paris, it's not exactly known as a romantic destination. Despite this, love locks are currently all the rage, with over 300 of them clinging to the busy Hohenzollern bridge over the Rhine.
Right now, 6 years after the love madness started in Cologne as well, the authorities are fighting with the increasing number of locks that threaten the structure of the bridge. Most of the locks will be cut off and only the ones truly different and original or very old will remain.
So if you plan on putting a lock there, better make it memorable!

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
― Martin Luther King Jr., A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches
“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.”
― William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
― Laozi

“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.”
― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

“Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it.”
― Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember
One Of My Fav Pictures In Koln - see the heart shape from our hands and bodies?! :)
“The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.”
― Marilyn Monroe
Would you just look at that LadyBug :)
“You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.”
― Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper
The 3 Musketeers:)
Be fooled not by the clouds, it was marvelous!
“If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.”
― Alfred Tennyson

“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.”
― Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
How cute is that? A Turtle Lock :)
“Love is needing someone. Love is putting up with someone's bad qualities because they somehow complete you.”
― Sarah Dessen, This Lullaby
How cool is that?!
“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.”
― Bob Marley
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
Holy Bible: New International Version
“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”
― Jane Austen, Pride And Prejudice
A Butterfly :)
“Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.”
― Nicole Krauss, The History of Love

Yet another LadyBug :)
Yup, that is me and my friend, the LadyBug :) I told you they are following me everywhere! ;)
“There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life.”
― John Lennon
“So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
“No relationship is perfect, ever. There are always some ways you have to bend, to compromise, to give something up in order to gain something greater...The love we have for each other is bigger than these small differences. And that's the key. It's like a big pie chart, and the love in a relationship has to be the biggest piece. Love can make up for a lot.”
― Sarah Dessen, This Lullaby
“Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.”
― Plato
Et voila! I told you it was a gorgeous day! I think it took us around 45 minutes - 1 hour to pass that bridge ;))) but it was amazing to sit and look at those beautiful locks.
The Hohenzollern Bridge in all its glory! :)
“Never love anyone who treats you like you're ordinary.” ― Oscar Wilde
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” ― Albert Camus ( for my dearest heart, Dana :* )
Now I know this post was photo heavy and I appologise for that, but I wanted to show you this lovely bridge through my eyes. I wanted to show you the things that touched my heart and the moments that will stay with me forever. I had the best company in the world: my dear sweet husband and my amazing best friend and dear heart. Thank you once again Dana for an amazing time!
 ***
If you wish to read more about our trip to Koln/Cologne, then I suggest you read the below linked posts:
  • What Would You Visit In Koln - thoughts upon what one could see in Koln, ideeas at the beginning of the journey
  • Germany, Ich Liebe Dich - Koln/Cologne & Bonn through BB pictures + 2 dear pictures that my best friend Dana took :) - a short intro to our trip in Germany
  • The Flight Travel Bug - or how I love to fly and I am glad my husband choose Lufthansa for our trip to Koln/Cologne 
  • Krakow-Cologne. How do I get there? - on how we managed to get from Poland to Germany: flight + ICE Train, and a little extra on the side: chinese food for dinner :) 
  • A Dark And Gloomy Cathedral - a very extensive post on the awesomeness of the Cologne/Koln Cathedral. I fell in love with her at the first sight!
Let me know if you like them and if you have any questions regarding this beautiful city. Also stay tuned for the next part of our Koln Adventure next week, on Travel Tuesday :)

Have a merry April Fools Day :)

Yours truly,
The LadyBug Who Loves Koln