Today we have yet another celebration of one of my personal fav movie stars: Helena Bonham Carter (HBC). Helena Bonham Carter, CBE (born 26 May 1966) is an English actress. She made her acting debut in a television adaptation of K. M. Peyton's A Pattern of Roses before her debut film role as the titular character in Lady Jane. She is known for her roles in films, such as: A Room with a View, Fight Club, The King's Speech, and playing Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter series. She frequently collaborates with her domestic partner, director Tim Burton, in films such as: Planet of the Apes, Big Fish, Corpse Bride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Alice in Wonderland, and Dark Shadows. In 2012, she played Miss Havisham in Great Expectations, and Madame Thénardier in Les Misérables.
A two-time Academy Award nominee for her performances in The Wings of the Dove and The King's Speech, Bonham Carter's acting has been further recognised with seven Golden Globe nominations, an International Emmy Award for best actress, a BAFTA Award, and a Screen Actors Guild Award. She was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2012 New Year honours list for services to drama, and received the honour from the Queen at Buckingham Palace on 22 February 2012.In January 2014, British Prime Minister David Cameron announced that Bonham Carter had been appointed to Britain's new national Holocaust Commission.
I ain't looking for a motive to spill the beans here, but I always wanted to say what I love/admire in this woman, so here we go:
- I admire the fact that she feels comfortable with herself wherever she is, whatever she is wearing! As she put it: "It Took Me Ages To Grow Into Being A Woman, Into Being Happy With It" and I dare say she actually managed it nicely! She can stay in whatever position it pleases her, she may speak the way that she wants but she is always top class and you can see how much she has grown from being the frightened girl from A Room With A View to the hardcore Bellatrix from Harry Potter. And just have a look at her style of clothing - it is insane yet very appealing. Not everyone can pull that kind of look and remain alive without critics biting on ones neck! Who else can wear mismatched shoes to the Golden Globe Awards and say something like this: "Why not wear mismatching shoes? Who says we can’t? I was just having fun ... For me, fashion is all about fantasy and putting unlikely things together. That’s what I love. I genuinely love dressing up."
- I feel intrigued over her long-lasting relationship/partnership with the genius Tim Burton - figure this out, they have bought 2 houses, joined in by the wall and set that wall down. The third house they own is on the same street but the kids live there with the nanny. Each of the houses has their own different style and they have daily meetings. HBC is Tim's muse and you can see her in almost all his movies - or at least hear her voice... - since they have been together. Marriage is overratted for them and I understand their way of thinking but I must underline this is a thing I do not agree with. If one loves another and they match, they should get wed... but hey, I am oldfashioned!
- I adore her amazing wardrobe and her genius accessories - if you can pull off mismatched shoes, weird boots, strange glasses, bird-nest hairdo's and whatever not that you must be doing something right and you are one hell of a woman! And that is what she is: a remarcable woman! Everything you will put her in would look stunning on her and people's jaws will drop. But guess what? She is her very own stylist and she picks her own goodies. She chooses what to wear with which and to what ocassion and not once has she been spotted with the same clothes, so that is a clear statement that she does fashion and she is not made by fashion.
- Parenting skills done right - did you know that HBC and Tim actually went for 7 weeks to a childcare guru to make sure they will raise their 2 babies correctly and give them the best. I know that having a nanny vs. shooting movies/being a producer is not that ok, also living in another house (even if it is on the same street) is not that ok either, but how awesome is Helena for taking her bike out and bringing her 2 lovely sons back home each day?!
- I love the she has ALWAYS put her heart and soul into the movies she has done - I think one of the very first movies I have seen with Helena was the ecranisation of A Room With A View. She was so adorable as Lucy, and so very young. After that it must have been Lady Jane - or so I remember... Just give her a script and a bit of time and she will do from any character in the play something legendary that for sure you will remember :) She is not afraid of strange roles that push her to the limit and she likes both the dark and the positive characters. Come on! She played in The Planet of Apes and she was not afraid of being a monkey! She had her head triple the size for being The Red Queen in the newest Alice in Wonderland - the one with the Polish Alice ;) She played a very crazy (in love with Mr. Todd - Johnny Depp) cook//baker in Sweeney Todd - just have a look at her hair and her deep dark eyes! And the beach scene is just epic! To be underlined that not only does she act remarkably but she also sings rather lovely ;) Take for example Sweeney Todd & Les Miserables.
To be mentioned also that this true lady, even though she is in the industry were almost everyone tried at least once or struggled with drugs/had problems with parties overnight and lack of sleep due to much more parties than once could take, she remains clear and has a free consience from all the harms that the industry brings :) Way to go, Helena! This is why your fans love you and respect your work ;)
What do you think of HBC? Are you a fan or are you against her NON- Hollywood Style of living? I find her fabulous and at the same time very down to Earth in her way of thinking. She is not the normal type of Star in Hollywood but she certainly does not want that :)
A HBC Fan - The LadyBug :)