Image Map

Monday, 30 June 2014

It Does Not Do To Dwell On Dreams And Forget To Live...

Dear friends,

You may have noticed this: I am a huge fan of books and movies, and I am not afraid to admit it! So today, along with the other thousands of fans - be they young or old, fresh or long-lived - I am celebrating the phenomenon that changed a lot of childrens lives: Harry Potter! Since the release of the first novel, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, on 30 June 1997, the books have gained immense popularity, critical acclaim, and commercial success worldwide.The series has also had some share of criticism, including concern for the increasingly dark tone. As of July 2013, the book series had sold between 400 and 450 million copies, making it one of the best-selling book series in history, and had been translated into 73 languages.The last four books consecutively set records as the fastest-selling books in history, with the final instalment selling approximately 11 million copies in the United States within the first twenty-four hours of its release.
So today I proudly celebrate the coming inside this world of the first novel of J.K.Rowling's series: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (or The Sorcerers Stone, if you wish ;) I am impartial!). The book was Rowling's debut novel and she never thought it would become such a great hit. Writers are always skeptical about their work but if continuously kids cannot put the book down as they are so absorbed in the characters, I believe that is the best sign you are doing things right ;) I remember reading the book after I saw the movie, but I must admit that it was done so very like the book that all the time I was reading I was re-enacting scenes in my head from the movies. The people wo did the choosing of the cast were brilliant and I think that having an all UK cast was a brilliant idea! Not to mention that I think that Ron and Hermione were amazing - the actors just grew in those roles and I believe they will stay like a family forever.
Just 17 years ago the great journey started and Rowling had no clue in what she has got herself into.  Nevertheless I think we are all glad she did :)  It's not like I believe in dark magic and white magic. I am firmly aware that there is no such thing and there is only magic and magic is bad/wrong/evil if we look in the Bible, but hey! Who doesn't like a good story?! And I must admit that Harry Potter is one of the best series for children - and adults alike. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone brings hope and makes you think that if a child raised under a cupboard can make friends and eventually save the world, then most certainly you can make the best out of your life. With a little help (actually more than a little, considering the amount of helping hands Ron & Hermione give...) one will always defeat evil. And that is always a good thing ;)
From Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone we find that it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. We find out that to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure and that the truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and must always be treated with great caution ;) Rowling managed to drive forward a great deal of teenagers - now in their 20s and 30s - to devour each novel and wait eagerly for the next one, and next one... the next movie, and the next one... As she wickedly put it, the story goes on. The story goes on and reaches one generation after another. I am sure that my children will read it and I would be happy to re-watch the movies with them. The Philosopher's Stone was just a small step for Rowling but a huge one for mankind :) as from that moment on, thousand of children waited eagerly for an owl to bring them a magical acceptance letter from the most amazing and beloved school: Hogwarts! Of course none received that... or none told the tale :) How about you? Have you ever waited for your letter from Dumbledore? Have you read the books with a flashlight under the covers? Have you ever imagined what would be like if you would have gone to a school like Hogwarts? I did! Happy brilliant birthday Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone! Happy bday J.K.Rowling!

Yours truly,
The LadyBug - A Harry Potter / J.K.Rowling Fan