Image Map

Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Oh, No! I Missed International Donut Day!

Dear friends,

To my shame I have ate donuts lately but on the International Day of Donuts I did not! What do you mean there is no such thing? You better check our dear friend Google - even Tumblr had a donut on that day! Well the International Day of Donuts is always on the first Friday of the month June. I know I may be a bit late, but here are some interesting facts I bumped into - enjoy your cup of coffee!
  • Both donut and doughnut are acceptable spellings. 'Donut' is just a shortened version, popularized in the 20th century by Dunkin' Donuts.
  • The US alone makes over 10 billion doughnuts a year.
  • During World War I, homesick soldiers in France were served doughnuts by Salvation Army volunteers to boost morale.
  • The original name for doughnuts was "Oily Cakes".
  • The first doughnut machine was invented in New York City in 1920, invented by Russian refugee Adolph Levitt.
  • The holes in the doughnuts appeared in the first half of the 19th century bakers discovered that they allowed pastry to cook more evenly.
  • The French version of doughnut holes are called Pet De Nonne, which translates to "Nun's Fart".
  • The Guiness World Record For Most doughnuts eaten in one sitting is 49 doughnuts in eight minutes.
  • The biggest doughnut ever made was 16 feet long and 16 inches tall.
  • The idea of dunking a doughnut in coffee really caught on thanks to the 1934 film It Happened One Night - Thanks Clark Gable :)
  • Dunkin' Donuts sells the most doughnuts of any business worldwide.
A doughnut a day is scientifically proven to make you happier, sexier and smarter - well at least that sounds like it could be true, right? :) All the above are true, cross my heart, and the last one I will let you try it and see how it goes ;) How about that?



Yours truly,
A LadyBug That Loves Donuts/Dunkin' Donuts