Image Map

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Remembering: Malopolski Piknik Lotniczy Air Festival

Dear friends,

On the 29th of June I had the great pleasure to go to the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow for the second time. The first time I went with my lovely sister and my adorable husband, but you already know that from this post. This time I took Alex, a dear friend, with me to see the Air Festival Picnic. Each year the Museum hosts a 2 day show in June, inviting clubs from all over the world to come and display their flying skills and their aerobatics in their huge courtyard. I always wanted to see it, but each time something came up. Thankfully enough this year I managed to see it! :)
I would have loved to have my husband there as well, but exactly that Sunday morning he flew all the way to Helsinki for a business trip, where he stayed over 1 week. Due to that, Alex took me from the airport and we went straight to the Polish Aviation Museum. The ticket for one day costs 20 zloty and it was well worth it. The weather was somewhat against us - it was so unbearably hot and humid that we managed to stay only for 3 hours, after which we deserted and retreated ourself to Kazimierz where we had some really really cold lemonade and beer.
This year it was the 10th Air Show hosted there and I must admit the crowd was huge and the number of airplanes was to its size. Unfortunately we saw no ballons, even though I know that last year there were a few. Maybe there were later on in the day, or maybe in the day before, but surely we would have loved to see one soaring up into the sky :)
For an interview, Jarosław Dobrzyński, one of the organizers of the event, said: “It’s a very popular event, every year we have around 50,000 visitors, especially when the weather is good like today."
More than twenty aircraft took part in the air show on Saturday, included some historical rarities from World War II, such as the Polish Aviation Museum’s Supermarine Spitfire, but the main attraction for the visitors was the aerobatics group Biało-Czerwone Iskry.
Team Iskry, the aerobatic demonstration team of the Polish Air Forces, performed for 25 minutes at 16:00, and repeated the display  on Sunday June 29 at the same time. The air show itself started each day at 10:00 and finished at 19:00.
For the fans of this kind of event, the Polish Aviation Museum will hold a smaller air show on July 27 connected with the opening of a new exhibition about the planes of World War I.
 “We have a unique collection of  World War I aircraft, which will be displayed in the new exhibition, in a new setting”, said Jarosław Dobrzyński.
And it is true, as during the show, one of the 3 main hangars was closed - most probably exactly for that specific purpose :) And a part of the airplanes were taken out from inside the hangars and put outside for display, so that people could enjoy them better.
More information about the event can be found on the air show website: X Małopolski Piknik Lotniczy. Though I have to admit you will probably have to use Google Translate for that as it has no version in English.
Also next to all the airplanes was a display of war machines & products of the forced army from all possible countries - disregard the Ferrari as I still have no idea what it was doing there... If one would have liked, you could have fired a gun (including an AK 47!). Alex actually tried the Avtomat Kalashnikova as he never fired one :) 
War contributes greatly to global warming, which shouldn't surprise us. All those bombs going off, all those rockets, all those planes and helicopters. All that fuel of various kinds being used. It pollutes the air and water of this very fragile and interconnected planet. - Alice Walker
Gliders, sail planes, they're wonderful flying machines. It's the closest you can come to being a bird. - Neil Armstrong
How could a guy sitting in a cave in Afghanistan, have... plotted so perfectly the hijacking of four planes and then guaranteed that three of them would end up precisely on their targets? - Michael Moore
During World War II, the pilot losses were staggering. In some bombing raids, as many as 80% of the planes that left did not return. - Simon Sinek
 I am interested in imperfections, quirkiness, insanity, unpredictability. That's what we really pay attention to anyway. We don't talk about planes flying; we talk about them crashing. - Tibor Kalman
I shot down some German planes and I got shot down myself, crashing in a burst of flames and crawling out, getting rescued by brave soldiers. - Roald Dahl
I went on a book tour immediately after 9/11. I was due to leave the following Wednesday, so I just did. It was an amazing thing, because planes hadn't been flying very many days, and I got on this plane and went to San Francisco, and the minute that plane lifted above the clouds, I felt this incredible sense of lightness. - Joan Didion
When I was a very little boy, I lived underneath the air pattern of LaGuardia airport in New York and I watched the planes fly to their destinations. I was in love with the design of these airplanes. - John Travolta
Dear sweet lads and lasses, I am very much sorry over the quality of the pictures. I did not have the camera at that time, as Marek took it with him to Finland in order to take some pictures. I took these with a video-camera so you have to believe me over how wonderful and magical it was. I have no pictures of the acrobacies done during the time we were there as they were incredibly fast :)  You need to be there to see it! But maybe next year I would go again, with Marek and the camera :) How about you? Have you ever been to an Air Show? What did you like the most?

Yours truly, 
A LadyBug Who Loves Flying