Image Map

Wednesday, 13 August 2014

How Much Do You Know About Red Heads?

Dear friends,

When I was just a little girl (as the song says) I had the hair color ranging from yellow like the sun to kissed by the sun red. Now my hair turned more brownish red and I miss from time to time - especially during the summertime - the red hardcore color it used to have. When I was a bit younger, all would be good if I would have just stayed in the sun for a while and from brownish red it would turn naturaly with the help of the sun to the sunkissed red. Now no longer as I truly not get to go out that much so I had to do this artificially for my wedding. I can't help it! Red hair makes me think of Ireland and of fairies and even though it is said that people with red hair cannot be trusted and that they are mean - or so stories from my childhood say - I do not believe that and I believe that red haired people are just fascinating :) Why would JKRowling create a whole family of red haired marvelous people?! The Weasley family proves my point ;)
No filters, just the color after I came back from the hairdresser :)
Here are some cute facts I stumbled upon just the day I came from the hairdresser with my fresh new red color for the wedding:
  • Only 2% of the population has this color of the hair (by nature) so I believe that those people are almost like fairies and unicorns :) 
  • If one tries to dye the hair red it is hard to keep it up. Red hair is the hardest to maintain (as a shade) so hardly ever you can fool anyone about your color. My luck is the fact that my skin complexion and my hair shade blends well with the fiery red color
  • Red hair is a recessive gene and that truly makes me sad :(  If a child has red hair that means you are lucky indeed! Maybe this is why my hair wants to change into a darker shade? Who knows... Maybe red hair has a mind of its own! :o
  • Red haired ladies have always been natural muses and if you will have a look at the art magazines and the fashion ones as well, or if you will tour the Louvre and check paintings , you will get to see that a vast majority of the ladies painted are red haired ;)
  • Hey! Come on! Even Queen Elizabeth was red haired and she was quite a fiesty woman! She reigned for 44 years and ushered in the Elizabethan era, which is responsible for William Shakespeare’s popularity... Need I say more?! Scholars note that redheads have influenced history out of proportion to their numbers. Famous redheads include Roman emperor Nero, Helen of Troy, Cleopatra, the ancient god of love Aphrodite, Queen Elizabeth I, Napoleon Bonaparte, Oliver Cromwell, Emily Dickinson, Antonio Vivaldi, Thomas Jefferson, Vincent Van Gogh, Mark Twain, James Joyce, Winston Churchill, Malcolm X, Galileo, and King David...
  • Every year, there’s an entire day dedicated to celebrating red hair in the Netherlands. Just have a look at their site and maybe book a flight now for the party in September :)
  • A French Proverb states that: `redheaded women are either violent or false, and usually are both`
  • During the Spanish Inquisition flame colored hair was evidence that its owner had stolen the fire of hell and had to be burned as a witch. Also the ancient Greeks believed that redheads would turn into vampires after they died. In Egypt, redheads were buried alive as sacrifices to the god Osiris
  • While Scotland has the highest proportion (13%) of redheads (followed by Ireland with 10%), the United States has the largest population of redheads in the world, with between 6-18 million redheads, or 2-6% of the population
Now do tell me, are you a red haired lass or lad? Do you fake your hair to be red? Do you feel comfortable in wearing this color now, when people could not mistake you for a witch? oh, how the world has changed over time and how much some people hurt due to lack of knowledge... I for one would rather say I am red haired at heart and light brown on the outside with sudden changes to fiesty red from time to time. And you?

Yours truly,
A Born Yellow-Red-Brown Haired LadyBug