Image Map

Sunday, 23 November 2014

Another Penguin Bites The Dust

Dearest friends,

It is time for our dearly beloved Benedict Cumberbatch to get settled down and have his very own mini-Benedicts that would bless this earth with their beauty, radiance, brainy moment and indicent moments to have top class good looks. That's right, as all you hungry-for-knowledge fans already know, THE Sherlock Holmes of the century got engaged to Sophie Hunter and announced it very old-fashioned via a small ad in the London Times :) There was no need of shouting it via Internet - either way at the beginning of this month all Hell broke loose when it went viral! - and I loved how he tries to keep things private, no matter how much he loves his fans.
Benedict came to Krakow this year, during the Off Plus Camera Event :)
Odd enough, I was not the one who found out first. I remember it even now, we were in an Wednesday afternoon and my adorable husband came to me with the news. I just came from work and was browsing through my emails and Facebook when he came into the room, all a smile: "Guess what?!" - well I did not see that news coming. Especially from him :) But hey, miracles happen! And we both loved him in Sherlock Holmes so much that Mr. Cumberbatch just stuck like glue to us :) Hence I thought I may dedicate a short post on why we love him so much:
  1. He believes in long-lasting relationships and true love. His very first relationship was 12 years long, so I surely hope his engagement with Sophie turns out to be the big step into the relationship of his life. I love seeing couples that are in the music/film industry and yet they feel very much human and maintain normal and growing relationships :) They split in 2011 :(
  2. Benedict loved playing Sherlock - come on, tell me a person who didn't think he was brilliant in that character?! ‘It’s a rare challenge, both for the audience and an actor, to take part in something with this level of intelligence and wit,’ he says. ‘You have to really enjoy it. It’s a form of mental and physical gymnastics.’ Even Steven Spielberg calls him ‘the best Sherlock on screen’ and Harrison Ford is his fan :)
  3. Cumberbatch is in a very-far-weird-way connected to The Royal Family :) Benedict Cumberbatch's great-grandfather was Queen Victoria’s consul general.
  4. He loves family and believes in the idea of having children. He says: ‘I’ve realised the reality of children is you have to be in the right place with the right person.' ‘I would love to have children. Everyone wants to know when I'm going to settle down and who is going to be Mrs Cumberbatch. I can't wait to do an interview like this and just talk about my child.'
  5. Benedict believes in the idea of education - I’m all about giving youth an education, a voice and a chance to not take the wrong road,’ he says.
  6. He loves his friends and family. He hired Una Stubbs to play Sherlock's landlady because she's his mum's best friend in real life. Both his mum and his dad, Timothy Carlton, play Sherlock's parents in Sherlock. Should I also mention he called his dad right on the red carpet? :)
  7. Benedict is a true patriot and loves his roots - 'I love London. Culturally it's where my heart and soul are, as well as my roots.'
  8. Four films he starred in were nominated at the Oscars 2014. #talent #benedictrules
  9. He cannot - for the love of God! - pronounce the word "penguin" :) and it still sounds adorable no matter how long he tries and tries to get it right. He has his faults and he is human, as all of us. I can bet though that he can say #supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
  10. He met Professor Stephen Hawking twice before filming Hawking (2004) to prepare for the role. He then subsequently provided the voice of the physicist in "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking" in 2010 and "Stephen Hawking's Grand Design" in 2012 which both aired in Discovery Channel.
Now you may not know this, but Benedict was in Krakow this year at the Off Plus Camera festival. Unfortunately I could not go, as it was in the middle of the working week and I was swamped with work. I regret it and I am sad I could not go. I love though that each year the people who organize the event think of the ones who cannot make it so they take the hand-prints of the guests. Along the Vistula river, near the Wawel Castle, you can find the mould and take your very own picture ;) Have you seen Benedict this year? Don't you think that Sherlock's character fits him like a glove?! :) 

Yours truly,
A LadyBug Who Loves To Watch Sherlock ;)