Image Map

Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Narodowe Święto Niepodległości

Dearest friends,

Narodowe Święto Niepodległości or The National Independence Day of Poland is celebrated in this very same day. Hence, this a day off from work and I have the pleasure of walking arm-in-arm with my adorable Polish husband, to the Main Market Square, where we will be watching the celebrations for the day. On November 11th the proud Polish people commemorate the anniversary of having Poland again on the map of Europe; Poland being again a state. This happened in 1918 after 123 years of split. 
The split was done by 3 great powers at that time: the Russian Empire, the Kingdom of Prussia and the Habsburg Empire. The 3 nations just figured out they needed to have a tea and there was no cake so Poland was chosen to be the sweet and each of the nations took a piece, that stayed with them over 100 years. This is the saddest moment that the Polish people have been through, yet they maintained their faith that one day their homeland will be reunited and Poland will be strong once more.
 ***
I have to hand it to them for being so optimistic, considering that Russia and Prussia were not at all friendly - the schools and insitutes banned Polish language and there was even death penalty for using it. Only the Habsburg Empire was friendly and thankfully enough Krakow maintained its position as the beating heart of the nation. Krakow was always the conscience, the Jiminy Cricket if you will, of the nation. It was always the coeur of Poland. 
On the 11th November 1918, Piłsudski was appointed Commander in Chief by the Regency Council and was entrusted with creating a national government for the restored Polish State. 16 November – Józef Piłsudski signed a telegram notifying the creation of an independent Polish State. The telegram was sent by radio to the leaders of the superpowers and to all of the warring or neutral governments three days later with the use of equipment from the Warsaw Citadel, just after exiting the German troops.
 ***
Krakow, we could say, was always a step ahead when it comes to changes. Although The National Independence Day is celebrated today, Krakow had its celebration much earlier. On the 31st of October 1918 it was the first occupied city in Poland that regained its independence from 3 the super-powers.What can I say? I love Krakow and I respect its ways :) As an expat I can say with all my heart that from all the countries I have visited, from all the people I have met and know personally, no other nation seems to me as strong and nationalistic and very proud of being so! than the Polish people. No other nation will tell you about their history, art and culture with so much passion! I still think that in their veins flows history and passion for their country. I believe that the Polish people have red & white blood flowing in their veins. I believe that they are strong as they love their country! I am proud to be an expat living in Poland, being married to a Polish lad :) Now I am off to the celebrations, and I recommend you to do the same ;)

Yours truly, 
The LadyBug In Love With Patriotic Poland