Image Map

Monday, 17 November 2014

So you *do* love me, little thing!

Dear sweet hearts,

** This is a review of the movie made after the lovely book written by E. M. Forster. Pay attention to spoilers, as I shall be telling you about A Room With A View - a delightful 1985 movie directed by James Ivory **

This movie was in fact the first cinema film of Helena Bonham Carter and it is one of the first movies I did see, as a wee lass, with her. Here is a short review from IMDB that I quite enjoyed: 
Lucy Honeychurch, a young Englishwoman, makes her first visit to Florence, Italy in the early 1900's. There, she meets a quiet yet eccentric young man named George Emerson. Upon her return to England, Lucy must decide whether to follow through with her marriage to her stoic fiance, Cecil, or follow her heart and her growing attraction to George. - Written by Liza Esser <essereli@student.msu.edu>
I regret that I did not get to watch this movie on the big screen - considering the fact that I was not even born at that time, that would have proved to be quite difficult... - but I am happy I managed to watched it still, when I grew up. It is one one of the period movies that stucks to your heart, especially if you are a young lass growing up and expecting true love to pop from just around the corner. It is a period drama movie, with costumes well done. The settings are lovely and all looks spit-spot perfect. Like someone was watching every scene with a magnifying glass...
 ***
It is a pleasure seeing Maggie Smith as Aunt Charlotte - a role totally different than how we see her in day-to-day life. She has no control over Lucy and in many times Lucy shuts her up in a way that makes me come up with retorts that only Dame M. Smith would do... nonetheless in this movie she is no Professor McGonagall or even Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham... she feels to me like dust in the wind. Which is brilliant! as it shows one more time what an amazing actress she is! :)  
I love the chemistry between the 2 main characters of the movie: Lucy (played by HBC) and George (played by Julian Sands). Daniel Day-Lewis's Cecil Vyse is brilliantly played/colored and it really makes you hate him so much that you just wish Lucy would fling to George the very instant! The cast is all British and very well selected.
***
The soundtrack is heart-melting with pieces of Puccini arias and Beethoven piano sonatas that know exactly when to start and when to end :) The settings are amazing and the movie is just made to be seen on the big screen and not on a laptop... it kinda diminishes the warmth... The movie always made me think of Italy and how I would love just to spent a whole summer there, basking in the light and feeling nature up close.
A Room With A View - the movie - is funny, romantic and style oriented. Tell you the truth, I would love to have Lucy's wardrobe even for a week. Those outfits are just perfect. No wonder gentleman treated ladies differently in those days :) That does not mean that Lucy's impromptu kiss with George in the fields was nevertheless shocking and outrageous - for those times ;) And just for the record, the movie took 3 Oscars home and one was for Best Costume Design ;)
***
I always loved this movie also for the idea that it brings to the audience: one must have the courage to face his/her own feelings! George always speaks up his mind and acts according to his heart. I alays thought that refreshing! On the other hand Cecil is the gentleman who will never show his feelings, never talk about love, always do the right/correct thing according to society. Now Lucy needs to choose between marrying someone for the pure pleasure of making her family/the society happy VS. making herself happy and allowing her the chance of being truly loved and loving someone in return. Now please don't go around throwing stones at me! I am not saying that Cecil does not care for Lucy. Maybe even he cares deeply, but he is just not knowledgeable enough to show it! Cecil wants Lucy as an expo - to look at her and see her in her beauty. George wants Lucy "to have ideas and thoughts and feelings, even when I hold you in my arms." 
Now while you ponder if you should/should not rent this lovely movie, I will share with you a few quotes:
*Mr. Emerson: I don't care what I see outside. My vision is within! Here is where the birds sing! Here is where the sky is blue!
*Charlotte Bartlett: I shall never forgive myself.
Lucy Honeychurch: You always say that, Charlotte, but you always do forgive yourself. 
*George Emerson: He's the sort who can't know anyone intimately, least of all a woman. He doesn't know what a woman is. He wants you for a possession, something to look at, like a painting or an ivory box. Something to own and to display. He doesn't want you to be real, and to think and to live. He doesn't love you. But I love you. I want you to have your own thoughts and ideas and feelings, even when I hold you in my arms. 
*Cecil Vyse: You must forgive me if I say stupid things. My brain has gone to pieces. 
 *Cecil Vyse: So you *do* love me, little thing!
*Freddy Honeychurch: Come and have a bathe.
George Emerson: I'd like that.
Reverend Beebe: [laughs] That's the best conversation opening I've ever heard. "How do you do. Come and have a bathe."
*Cecil Vyse: You don't love me, evidently. I dare say you're right not to, but... it would help a little, hurt a little less, if I knew why.
Lucy Honeychurch: Because you're the sort who can't know anyone intimately, least of all a woman.
[Cecil looks taken aback and hurt]
Lucy Honeychurch: Well, I don't mean exactly that, but you will go on asking questions! 

P.S. I really, truly, with-all-my-heart, think you should all see this lovely movie :) If ever you were in love with Italy, if ever you liked period movies/books, if ever you enjoyed seeing Helena on the big screen, you need to get yourself a copy of A Room With A View :)

Yours truly,
A LadyBug In Love With Good Period Movies :)