Image Map

Saturday, 16 May 2015

Iasi: The Cake Testing - Winner: Cremish

My dear hearts,

The day came when I felt very much entitled to go all Marie Antoinette and say "Let them eat cake"  - if you never heard of this phrase before, than you must not know of the traditional translation of the French phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche", supposedly spoken by "a great princess" upon learning that the peasants had no bread (hence everyone thinks it was Marie). Since brioche was made from dough enriched with butter and eggs, making it more expensive than bread, the quote reflected the princess's disregard for the peasants.
The Lemon - Choco and Fig - Choco Cake Testing @ Cremish
You may find it odd - Polish people never do it like this... they have no tests on the wedding menu/cake - but in Romania, once you settle the menu for the festivity - be it wedding or christening or banquet - you need to test it. Same goes for the wedding cake! And to tell you the truth, I rather like this custom, as you can get to pick and choose the product that best fits your needs. When it comes to the menu, it will be your last time to make sure everything is to your taste and you will figure out if the food is as good as it sounded when you were reading the menu from the pdf file the Restaurant gave you ;)
***
The day came upon me like a thunder and all I could taste felt as if it were made out of sugar... We had arrived in Iasi on Saturday evening - for our 2 weeks wedding party vacation time - and managed to book Monday for the menu testing at Complex Popas Pacurari. Popas Pacurari works with 3 companies that provide the perfect cake for your perfect moment but we wanted to try out only 2 of them: Charlotte and Cremish. I knew Charlotte ever since I was living in Iasi and I knew it had good quality products, hence when I was asked by Popas Pacurari which option of cake maker I would like to choose I said: Charlotte! without a doubt. I have to thank Popas Pacurari though for changing my mind at the last moment. Due to that we had the wedding cake of my dreams :)
Macaroons @ Cremish
Popas Pacurari helped us book time - the very next day! - for both sweets shops and that is how the Crazy Sweets Marathon began :) Sweet Tuesday started with the first testing at Cremish at 10 AM. Rise and shine and welcome the extra calories for the day! (yes, I have to admit, I managed to put 2 kilos in 2 weeks, but it was well worth it) We were greeted by a lively young lady with a laptop and cakes prepared for us - 4 versions to test out! We were asked if we would like anything else and I asked for still water, as I know I always need that when I am eating something sweet.
***
Popas Pacurari recommened us the fig cake and my mum also suggested me the lemon version - once you eat all the good food that the chef at Popas prepared, there is no space for heavy cakes with loads of chocolate... We tasted exactly that: fig & lemon - the first picture of the post - and also 2 other versions with fruits. The hard decision came next: I loved the lemon cake and my second favourite was the fig - for Marek it was the other way around :)
The testing @ Charlotte
We were asked when the wedding will be, how many guests - as your cake size will be calculated in accordance to the number of guests, counting around 100 grams per each participant - and how the cake would look like. The lady from Cremish was ready to open up their Facebook page and show us what they have done before, but we met her with a smile and told her that we already had a model in mind. I took out my phone and showed her the LadyBug Wedding cake - it had more red color in it, so we toned it down by exchanging red with creamy white ;) It was to be done in marzipan and have one cake layer with lemon and the second with fig - this way we were both pleased :)  
 ***
We still wanted to make sure we had our mind 100% settled on the perfect one, so we told them we had another appointment, the same day, and we would let them know by 4 PM - the other testing was booked at 2 PM, after the Band & DJ meeting at 12... We had a marathon! I am a big fan of macaroons and creme brulee so I try to test them wherever I see them. Cremish had macaroons as well - 4 types actually, at the moment when we did the testing - so I asked for 2 small boxes to give my mum and granny. Of course I stole one away and I must admit it was very nice - the cream was lemon and smooth and refreshing & the sides were crispy and yummy. I would say it's a must to try, alomg with the lemon cake ;)
The Twisted Red LadyBug Cake - picture taken by Eliza Prostire
We decided to go at Charlotte with an open heart, but I must admit that the lemon cake stayed in my mind. It was haunting me :) The lady from Charlotte showed us 5 combinations of chocolate - fruit cake (fruits of the forest, strawberry, lemon) and tried to close the deal just then and there. She was extremely pushy and did not even listed to us. She was ready to do the note and tell the chef to make the cake - I really thought she was very rude, to tell you the truth, and I expected more of Charlotte. And to tell you the truth, I rather though I would like the cakes from Charlotte more, but I believe these ones were quite ordinary... they did not taste anything special but rather artificial. I was glad to say that we will consider it and let them know - even though the lady was extremely and visibly dissapointed!  
***
We were extremely happy with the winner of the Crazy Sweets Marathon: Cremish :) and if we would have to choose again, I would do it the same! The cream was wonderful and natural and light and everyone that I met after the wedding complimented how the cake looked and how the cake tasted. I think it was quite a hit! You know you did it right when you see the guests taking 100 pictures of the cake & recording the band that's playing ;))) So another big THANK YOU! goes for the whole team from the Popas Pacurari for helping us find the perfect place to make our 3rd wedding Romanian - Polish party cake: Cremish :) You can find them on Facebook or on their Internet Page or just go visit them directly at Strada. Sfantul Lazar, Nr. 29.

** This post was made out of love for good home-made-tasting cakes - made in Romania :) I was not repayed in any way and all the opinions are my very own, straight from the heart! ** 
 
DISCLAIMER - All pictures (except the last one, done by our dear friend Eliza Prostire) were taken with the camera from my Samsung Galaxy S4, no filter and no modification - Copyrights reserved :) For more food pictures, with better light, you can go on their Facebook profile
Yours truly,
A LadyBug That Loved The LadyBug Wedding Party Cake done by Cremish - it was my pleasure telling you about them :) Share the love! Pay it forward!