Image Map

Monday, 4 May 2015

Star Wars Needs More Female Characters! May 4th be with you!

Dearest hearts,

Star Wars was never a big hit in Romania, back home, but I am glad to say in Poland I managed to find a bigger group of people in love with the series. I remember being a wee lass, going to the cinema with my father, and watching the old - first 3 - episodes on the big screen. I was honored to see them all at the cinema, as I grew older, and I am extremely excited about the new one - Star Wars Episode 7 - coming in December :) For the ones who love the stories / movies, this day is very much special - May The 4th Be With You! - today it is the international Star Wars day! 
Now you may remember me babbling a few times about these movies:
  • May the 4th be with you! - celebration post done last year, on this very day. It tells you a bit more on how this day remained stuck in history and in the heart of all the Star Wars fans out there
  • Luke, I am your father! - a post telling you why I watch Star Wars and why it has always been close to my heart
Star Wars was not meant to be a phenomenon. Even the great George Lucas did not think it would be a hit. He seriously doubted that people would be interested in a Sci Fi story. He could not be more wrong... After years, people still are not able to grasp on how much these movies have affected generations of children. Every child that has watched Star Wars and grown to love it will eventually pass the love further on to their offsprings. 
 ***
I remember being so much in love with the story, the weird planets and the unknown machines... the droids that have a personality of their own... nobody thought about this before and the concepts helped broaden our way of thinking and watching motion pictures. We wanted more, demanded more, expected more... I had my first crush - first on Mark Hamill and then on Harrison Ford. I had my first role model - Carrie Fisher, portraying Leia - the fiesty and sharp lady, that had no need of being saved as she was able to handle any Trooper coming her way :)
***
The first trilogy did not have much of a feminine side to it and the only female character I can remember is Princess Leia Organa - Luke's sister and the daughter of Anakin Skywalker = Darth Vader. When Leia was captured she never betrayed the plan and her convictions, not even after being tortured or even seeing her home world - Alderaan - been blown to pieces, right in front of her very eyes. When Luke comes to rescue her she does not stay with her hands tied behind her back - she takes a blaster and shoots more Troopers down than Luke & Han Solo! Oh! and I remember Aunt Beru, but she has a short time on the screen, so we can cut her out either way...  
 ***
The second trilogy - the prequels that cause great disturbances in the Force, by being loved & hated in equal measure by the fans - give a bit more leverage on that side. We have - of course - Anakin's mother, telling us how Ani was concieved by pure love and air. Ani has no father - just a mother. Later on we find from Qui-Gon Jinn that he was actually conceived by the midichlorians. Than we have Queen Amidala - Padme - the mother of Luke and Leia. You can even see several women - Jedi even on the councils. Which is a big step forward from the original series. 
***
Now, with the new Lucas - Disney franchise I was scared that Princess Leia will become yet another Disney Princess in the list, but it seems Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy is holding the reign strong. The Episode 7 movie, which is launching a new trilogy and a series of spinoffs, is the first “Star Wars” film to be made under the wing of the Walt Disney Co., which acquired George Lucas‘ namesake production company in 2012 for $4 billion. Kennedy assured fans that, going forward, the “Star Wars” universe would introduce more women - “There are going to be a lot of new wonderful characters,” she said. I, for one, am looking forward to it and I am counting the days until December 2015 when I will get to see Episode 7 on the big screen.

May The 4th Be With You, Star Wars fans out there! :)
The Twisted Red LadyBug That Loves Star Wars Since She Was A Wee Lass