Image Map

Thursday, 30 July 2015

Advertising - The Soul Of Commerce

My dear friends,

It is amazing how the human brain works, one item triggering a memory of another, cirucits joining and intertwining, interweaving knowledge and feeling alike. How can one track the train of thoughts from a couple of minutes spent in an international airport - for example the one in Munich - to the colorful and rainbow-like camels - provided by the Camel advertising group - to the days of youth, when one was studying Marketing and Business Communications - that's me, alright! When I was small I wanted to be an accountant. When finishing Gymnasium I knew from start where I wanted to go: The Highschool of Economics and Business Administration - and become an accountant like my amazing Grandpa. I remember being very enthusiastic about it, yet somehow by the end of the first year in University - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration - when we had to select which specialty we would like to persevere in... accounting dropped from first place to third, behind Marketing and Informatics... I never regreted the choices I made and I loved the Bachelor and Master studies in Marketing and Business Communication - if anything, they were eye-openers for the world and how the money makes it all go around...
David Mackenzie Ogilvy, CBE, was an advertising executive who was widely hailed as "The Father of Advertising". In 1962, Time called him "the most sought-after wizard in today's advertising industry". I studied about him in school and his books on the topic of advertising always were fascinating. Now think about this: there are 35 or so commercial passenger airports (Flughafen) in Germany, with Frankfurt and Munich being the two biggest.  Altogether, over 190 million passengers were facilitated by German airports in 2008, with 88 million of those in Frankfurt and Munich alone - sorry, I could not find any other statistics for following years, but I bet what you want on the fact that the number has increased significantly since then! What smarter way to adverstise products is there, than to do it in an airport with such amount of traffic?! The Munich airport is like a huge shopping mall, with facilities that I have not yet seen anywhere else - from multiple smoking lounge areas, wherever you turn, to bathrooom equiped (some) with showers, to lounge areas and reading spaces to chillout.
 “The consumer isn't a moron. She is your wife.” ― David Ogilvy, 
  Confessions of an Advertising Man
 “I don't know the rules of grammar. If you're trying to persuade people to do something, or buy something, it seems to me you should use their language.” ― David Ogilvy
I was thinking how Munich Airport encourages consumption in a gentle and non-forcing way. Let us say you are stranded in Munich for a few hours, between flights - not enough to get you to the city and back, but enough to press your nerves, thinking on what to do next... Let us say you are a smoker and 3-4 hours would be too much without having a puff... Well Munich airport comes to your aid! ;) You have comfortable lounges where you can smoke and enjoy the latest news on the screen, or have a look on the colorful Camel branded still-life-animals. Of course you will smoke your pack, while relaxing, but that is no issue as you can just jump by the duty free and have some more smokes. I must admit it! I took pictures of the Camel camels and I am not a smoker,but either way this post could be considered as advertising. The Instagram posts I have done with the camels are free advertising as well for the Camel brand... I know that, I am aware of that, I admit that I am against smoking yet I posted them... the irony! These beautiful colorful pictures attract and make you snap a photo of it. Well made and attractively designed they are there to remind you of the brand. My husband smokes Camel... maybe I was thinking of him when I took this picture, or maybe I should just blame it on the clever heads working on advertising and product placement - they really hit home-run with those! Good job!

DISCLAIMER - All pictures were taken with the camera from my Samsung Galaxy S4 - Copyrights reserved :)- Pictures were taken near the Smoking Lounges in the Munich Airport & the Duty Free Area of the same airport

Yours truly,
The Twisted Red LadyBug that was always fascinated about advertising