Image Map

Thursday, 9 July 2015

House of (Cards) Donuts

My dearest friends,

Donuts. Is there anything they can't do? - Matt Groening
Sometimes I wonder how the world gets split between (usually) two sides: either you are a Pepsi fan or a Coca Cola fan, either you love period books or you don't, either you feel like your soul would die without travelling or you are more of a groundhog and stay in the house, either you love donuts or you don't! I must admit I love donuts and it was hard to settled down with the donuts here in Poland - which are round, fluffy & usually filled with some kind of sweet stuffing & have no hole... sorry but for me there will be no better donuts than the ones made at Dunkin Donuts!
Unfortunately there is no Dunkin Donuts in Poland so I have to make do... That is why everywhere I see donuts I feel the need to try them out thoroughly! (usually more than once, and with more than one flavour!) I am always happy to bump into a new place and just a few days ago, on a very warm and sunny Sunday afternoon, Marek and I were walking on Saint John street (Sw. Jana 2) when we saw this small little place called "House of Donuts". We looked at eachother and we went in - the idea was for me to have a donut and that was all... somehow we each got a donut + an iced coffee on the side (listening to the nice and smiling Ukrainian waitress). She was cute and smiling so that was again a plus. The place was empty at that time, weirdly enough! (around 1 PM Sunday) but I really hope they will get some attention!
House of Donuts is an authentic American sweets-shop and as you can realise from the title & the pictures, their specialty resides in creating wonderfully colorful and creative donuts. The products are freshly baked everyday and they are specially designed for people struggling with various food intolerances. House of Donuts also created other sweet treats low in gluten and ingredients of animal origin - cakes can also be found here. I also feel the need to mention there are few placed where you can find Häagen-Dazs icecream and this is one of them! :) (an ice cream brand, established by Reuben and Rose Mattus in the Bronx, New York, in 1961).
House of Donuts proudly states on their FB Page that it is a place not only for lovers of American sweets, but also for vegans or people eating gluten-free products. The grand opening of the place on St. John's street (which is right in the city center, on one of the streets on the Sukiennice side, very close to the Discover Cracow offices) was on the 17th of March 2015. The place is open Monday to Friday from 7:30 to 21:00 & Saturday to Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00. You can pay both by card or cash & you can also place orders in advance. There is also free WIFI with the password written on the blackboard behind the counter ;)  pretty stable in case you need it for a bit. 
 Between the optimist and the pessimist, the difference is droll. The optimist sees the doughnut; the pessimist the hole! – Oscar Wilde
I had a peanut butter donut with Oreo crumbles & an iced coffee. The donut was yummy and you could feel it was less sugary and more vegan :)  and the iced coffee was smooth and with a kick of energy - I bet my sister will love this place when she will visit me! She is a newly vegetarian so this place would be perfect for her :) did I mention she has a sweet tooth? Both the iced tea & the donut were very refreshing treats for a very hot summer afternoon. The nice thing was the iced coffee was "To Go" and we could take out drinks with us and have a walk further on :) I would like to go there again one day and try another type of donut & fresh squeezed juice - it's on my list now! I love how they thought as well of combo's > for the morning there is "School Breakfast" = donut + flavoured milk = 10 zloty (almost 3 euros), or "Combo" = donut + large coffee/latte = 15 zloty. Or just have some juice for 7 zloty - carrots, grapes, kiwi... you pick! OR maybe just some tea and a donut... your pick from the choices of the day ;)

 **I didn't receive anything for this review, just wanted to share the love! Prices given were valid in July 2015 - but don't worry, the zloty is one of the most ferm and unchanging currencies and Poland loves to keep a good eye on its economy! so the prices will not change much. **

Yours truly,
The Twisted Red LadyBug That Loves Donuts