Image Map

Friday, 10 March 2017

The World's Greatest Invention

Dearest sweethearts,

Did you know that this very day, in the year 1876, the 1st telephone call was made by Alexander Graham Bell - to a certain Thomas Watson. Ever since, the World has never been the same. Can you imagine now life without the phone? I believe it's indeed the World's Greatest Invention of our time. And it's truly amazing how much phones have changed in the last 30 years. I look at my life and I remember things from my childhood... I remember the phones that would have a round dialing board that you had to stick your fingers in and that if you would put a wrong number you would have to stop, hang up and start from scratch again. I remember the excitement of receiving a call and not knowing whom it was. I remember making prank calls to random people, phoning them and asking them weird stuff. I remember the central phone boards and the ladies that would make the connections to longer distance calls. I remember the public phones with coins and later on with colorful cards that kids would collect. I remember uit all like it was yesterday! Now fast forward to today: the home phones kinda became extinct and everyone has a mobile phone next to their hand. You (theoretically) can find everyone anywhere at any time - somehow the privacy has decreased, as a consequence.
Why are we so addicted to phones nowdays? It's mainly because they are no longer just a means of communication, but much more than that. First phones were all about the status of the people who had one - only the wealthy could afford it. Then it would be gradually about communication and reaching people faster than the letters would.  Next step: commodity - you could phone your friends to come by and hang out or do homework a via conference calls. Then the mobile phone appeared - a wonderful wonder... I remember I had my first cell phone when I was in high school. I used it for texting mainly and sometimes phones. I feel old when I look at phones now vs. my first cell phone. They were such uncomfortable heavy things, but their battery lasted for months! Nowdays we have everything on our cell phones yet we rarely use it for its base purpose: communication, calling one another. Nowdays the battery barely lasts for a day, but you can have all your life on that device. It's your camera, your video player, your map, your guidance, your connection with your family and friends, your bank, your alarm... your everything. I guess we should thank Mr. Bell for that ;) Do you think you could handle today without the phone? 

Yours very much sincerly,
The Twisted Red LadyBug That Loves A Good Story From History