What is the definition of an Expat? An expatriate (often abbreviated to 'expat' or sometimes 'ex-pat') is a person 'temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence'. In other words, somebody who isn't from 'around here'.
Now as you can see from my pictures I am no longer in my native country: Romania, but I have moved in the country of my awesome husband: Poland. Even though I feel in both countries at home, I must admit that at heart I am an expat. That makes me both sad and happy, and I would be glad if you could join me in my wonderings and questionings of this foreign land :p From time to time I shall post here some links to the articles I wrote on the blog related to my expat experiences ;) Take your time and enjoy all the other subjects I speak of ;) and do try the Travel tab where I write where I went and where I am planning to go, along with what I suggest you should do if you ever reach Krakow or other places I have been to ;)
*In regards to being an #expatblogger:
*In regards to being an #expatblogger:
- A Turning Point - how/why did I come to Poland?!
- Moving Abroad - Stuff None Tells You about being an expat
- 10 Tips For Newly Expats (or Expat Wannabes :) don't be afraid to be one!)
On How To Get A Romanian Girl Married To A Polish Lad:
- Don't We All Love Paperwork? - what does it take for a Romanian girl to marry a Polish guy
- Yin and Yang - a "My Life Lately" post done while fighting to get papers for marriage
- Keep Them Crossed Tight - if you get married on Polish land that does not mean that the marriage is also registered in your birth land so you better get your arse to the Embassy and hope you have all the papers right!
- The Green Side Of Warsaw - being in Warsaw for the papers was both a blessing and Hell and you can read more about that in this post ;)
- ETA: 3 Months - No Rush - here we are, 3 months before the Church Wedding & The Wedding Party and I have no dress!
- ETA: 1 Week To The Wedding - Dress ready but not yet picked up, Bouquet ordered and only 2 wedding dance classes done... no worries ;)
- 3rd Time's The Charm - Or how we finally managed to have our Polish Wedding PhotoShoot, finally after 2 try-outs that were extremely rainy!
Tips & Tricks For The Big Polish-Romanian Wedding:
- Things You Should Never Try With A Polish Person - first thing first: Don't tell them Polish language is similar to Russian else you wanna enter a fight!
- A Few Polish Words - just in case sign language would not be enough, you can print this out and point what you want to say with the finger, but just so you know, you are resposible for the answer you will get ;)
On Holidays & Celebrations:
- Christmas In Poland - what do Polish people eat/do at Christmas time? and 10 Reasons Why I Love Christmas
- A Christmas Card from Krakow, Poland - or what could do around Krakow now, that Christmas is knocking at our door (posted for Saint Nicholas day - 6th December 2015)
- A cute 2 blog post I did for Diana Elle Blog - "Christmas Around The Globe" Series - Poland VS. Romania (part1 & part2)
- Why Celebrate Valentine's Day - a post with a little bit of Whole World VS. Romania as Romania has a similar celebration on the 24th of February, before celebrating Valentine's Day became a hit!
- About Love And The Romanian "Dragobete"- a celebration somewhat similar to the Valentine's Day, only celebrated on the 24th of February
- Martisor and Zolnierze Wykleci Day - it's a yin & yang day for me: celebrating the Martisor (traditional Romanian day) and the The National Doomed Soldiers Memorial Day (for the Polish soldiers)
- The Year's Rope = Mărțișor - a little bit about a traditional celebration for Romanian people, in the first week of March
- Women's Day - Mother's Day - a post about the women in my life and about a Romanian/International Custom - and why you should celebrate this day!
- Palm Sunday in Poland and the contests that the parishes make for the tallest, most beautiful palm
- Thoughts about Easter and how I really believe it should be called "Ressurection Day"
- Easter In Romania - how people in The Land Of Vampires celebrate Easter and about the amazing food that we eat during this celebration
- Birthday Thoughts Of An Expat - or how to celebrate Autumn and be happy for the things we have (positive & wishful thinking)
On Different Customs & Habits:
- To Dub Or Not To Dub, This Is The Question! - can you live in a country where all the children movies are dubbed and there is no option of you seeing that movie except in Polish?! Well I have to, and growing to understand why they do this...
- Oh! The Miracles of RMF FM! - upon listening to a Radio which would play something else than all polish songs ;)
- Poland. Come and Complain - a Facebook/Youtube page very catchy and very fun to track. They nicely point out one of the most common Polish flaw: the tendency to complain.
- A Traditional Polish Wedding - my thoughts upon the differences between Romanian and Polish traditional weddings (to be more precise, the Highlanders type of wedding, and I do not mean Duncan McLoud rather the people from/around the mountain area).
- Who Doesn't Love Weddings?! - or thoughts about love, marriage and my first 2-day wedding for which I obviously was not prepared (Ladies, in case of weddings out of town, always have an extra dress, just in case!)
- I Don't Trust Buildings Nowadays - thoughts upon how buildings are build in Romania VS. Poland and about the huge earthquake in Romania from the year 1977, that killed over 1500 people inside our borders.
- What You Should Eat While In Romania - if you ever go visit Romania make sure you try at least a few things from this list and let me know which one you liked most ;)
- What You Should Eat While In Poland - same as above but most obviously about Poland ;)))
- Thought Upon A Good Party - Polish Style = Good company + Vodka + Yumyum food
- The Soul of Poland - a National Dance Competition & some traditional costumes and dances from the Krakow area that you may enjoy
- Where Did The Summer Go? - or a post on differences in weather between Romania and Poland. Make that a very complaining post, to be precise
- Why I Still Go To Vote - even if I am an Expat and probably will not live in Romania anymore. It's simple: Elections Belong To The People! not to the schemes of higher power groups...
- Thoughts on The First Communion and how it became a consumer moment vs. a moment for our heart and soul... or how we are selling our soul from a very early age!
- The Love To Our Country Is Our Law - Amor Patriae Nostra Lex - a bit of history along with a beautiful Street Art painting in Krakow. One thing is for sure: Polish people love their country and their history and they are proud to admit that ;)
- Narodowe Święto Niepodległości or The National Independence Day of Poland - the anniversary of having Poland again on the map of Europe; Poland being again a state. This happened in 1918 after 123 years of split.
Poland has quite a few #amazingwomen so I want to introduce them to you:
- Marie Curie Sklodowska - nope, she was NOT French! ;) and she is the only lady up to this point, that got 2 #nobelprize awards!
- How to cope with being homesick - or What to do when YOU miss someone? - the way we all turn to social media
- Hard Parts About Being An Expat
- Thoughts on Motherhood and being an Expat Mum
- Common Misconceptions About Expats
- 20 Things You Did Not Know About Romania, but may make you visit it ;)
- Learning a bit of Romanian won't do you harm - 24 funny sayings in my mother tongue
- Celebrations: Great Union Day (1st of December)
I also encourage diversity and wish you would do the same! Be open minded and search for new, life changing experiences from which you can learn ;)
The Expat LadyBug in love with Romania & Poland